Scenic Wallpaper in your Bathroom? Why Not?
Scenic wallpaper may seem to be a strange material choice for a bathroom. Yet, Sally and I knew wallpaper was to play a major role in our DXV Design Panel bathroom from the moment we began designing the room. To create our scenic wallpaper, we also knew that Doug, Lena and Brooke of Zoe Design were the perfect team to tackle the challenge. (LOVE how the mirrors reflect into infinity.)
Why did we choose scenic wallpaper, as opposed to tile, paint or paneling? (After reading this post, we hope you will agree with us.)
- Wallpaper can tell a story.
- Wallpaper can make a room memorable.
- Wallpaper can set a mood.
- Wallpaper can be reasonably priced.
OUR Scenic WALLPAPER CONCEPT
Initially, we didn’t know exactly what our concept was going to be, other than that it had to say “Impressionism, Monet and water”. But we did know the wallpaper had to respond to three design challenges.
- It had to make Monet and Impressionism relevant – bringing them into the 21st Century.
- It had to invite and welcome, enticing you to linger in the bathroom, forgetting the chaos and stress of the day.
- It had to complement, support and enhance Artaic’s modern mosaic tile mural.
In our initial meeting with Lena and Doug we discussed the design challenges we faced and how best to create and produce the wallpaper. Part of our conversation with them was the look/style/feel of the scenic wallpaper. We explored a variety of reflections in the water. Some were realistic, such as mysterious landscapes, colorful landscapes and reflections of landscapes in the water.
Some artistic, exploring watery reflections.
The painting style of Monet…
…and the American Impressionist, Breck, whose use of bright splashes of color caught our eye.
Collectively, we decided on a Monet riff with a bit of Breck tossed in, making the mural bolder, more graphic and dynamic.
HOW Digital Scenic MURAL WALLPAPER IS CREATED
Doug and Lena hung canvas on their studio wall, and sized it to the scale of the DXV wall panels and pattern repeat.
Then it was time for Brooke and Lena to work their magic, painting/creating the mural.
Upon the mural’s completion, Doug photographed the mural and converted it into a digital file. Notice how the mural changed and evolved!
With Zoe Design’s Giclée digital printing capabilities, they produced richly detailed wallpaper scaled to fit the wall panels in our DXV Design Panel bathroom. (Image shows the printing process but is not of our scenic wallpaper.)
Et, voila!!! The paper was shipped to Minneapolis where it was installed in the bathroom.
ZOE DESIGN’S VERSATILITY AND CREATIVITY
As Sally and I mentioned earlier in the post, Zoe Design has collaborated with WKD on a number of projects and we thought we’d share two examples.
The first is a piano we created several years ago in collaboration with Zoe Design for Street Pianos Boston, as part of the Boston Celebrity Series. Doug designed a wallpaper using guinea fowl feathers from my fly tying materials to cover the main body of the piano. The border was created from a photo of a piece of fabric. Pretty awesome!!!
About 25 pianos were decorated and distributed throughout the streets of Boston for 4 weeks, offering residents the opportunity to play the piano. It was a hugely popular and successful event.
At the other end of the spectrum, Sally had a recent client who wanted to dress up her mud room by adding a little “French flair”. Selecting from their digital library of scenic wallpaper, Sally worked with Zoe Design to create a custom chinoiserie style wallpaper for the room. See our Before/After blog post about the mudroom/bathroom here.
As you see below, their capabilities range far beyond traditional scenics.
Using his digital camera and Photoshop, Doug (a former professional photographer) has designed a number of mouthwatering contemporary wallpapers.
WHY ZOE DESIGN?
In closing, let’s do a quick recap of Zoe Design’s capabilities:
- They offer many scenic wallpaper and pattern designs from their collection of papers via their website.
- Their designs are available in custom color ways. Just send them your color swatch, PMS color or paint color and they will match or compliment it.
- They offer their murals and patterns on Mural Pro Wallpaper, Non-woven Fabric, Canvas, Metallic Canvas and Etching Paper. Different substrates are appropriate for different images and suitable for different applications.
- The Giclée printing they use offers archival, high resolution imagery with a depth of visual color and detail previously only available in glaze, hand painted canvas or watercolor.
- All Zoë wallpapers can be printed in grayscale, reversed, rotated, inverted and made the exact dimension specified because each one is made to order. You may be the only person who will have it.
- Last but not least – cost. Compared to the cost of a hand painted scenic mural, their digitally printed wallpapers are affordable, making this design option accessible to many more consumers.
For Sally and me, it was an absolute pleasure to again collaborate with Doug, Lena and Brooke, from Zoe Design. Their artistic natures are a perfect fit for us.
If Sally and I can help you with any aspect of the design of your home, please don’t hesitate to contact us via the contact form on our website, here:
Or, if you’re not sure if you need to hire an interior designer, please give us a call. We’d be happy to chat.
We also invite you to connect with us on:
Thank you for reading our blog, Design Cognoscenti. We appreciate you!
Get in touch! We'd love to hear from you.CONTACT US
Join our mailing list to keep up to date with our latest posts.